Having a dead car battery in your car can be incredibly annoying and frustrating. Not only does it mean that you won’t be able to drive anywhere, but it can also make it difficult to jumpstart the car back to life.
If you’ve ever found yourself in this situation, you know how stressful and inconvenient it can be. Have you ever wondered how to jumpstart a car? We’ve prepared 8 steps you can follow to try and restart your dead car battery by yourself! Let’s dive in!
8 Steps To Kickstart A Dead Battery
Before you start attempting to start your battery, you’ll need jumper cables, another vehicle with a working battery, and a rag. Afterward, you can take these steps:
- Get your tools ready before you start. Make sure no kids are nearby and clean your terminals if they are dirty. Unplug devices like phone chargers from your vehicle that don’t need to be plugged in.
- Park your car and the vehicle with a working battery close together, and shut off their ignitions after placing them in Park or Neutral. Make sure you engage the parking brake before getting out of the car.
- Identify the positive terminal on your dead battery; it should say “POS” or “+,” then attach one of the red cables to it. After that, attach the other red cable to the + terminal to the car that works.
- While you’re still looking at the working car’s battery, attach one of the black cables to the negative terminal. You should read “NEG” or “-” to identify it.
- The last black clip should be attached to the metal surface under your hood that’s far away from the battery. This is a safe measure to prevent sparking.
- Start the engine of the vehicle that works for a couple of minutes. Try to start your vehicle; if it doesn’t start, let the working vehicle run for longer.
- After your car does start, do not turn it off. Remove all the cables in the REVERSE order you attached them.
- Drive around for at least half an hour to make sure your battery stays charged.
Modesto Towing: A True Fix To A Dead Car Battery
All the steps mentioned above are a great way to try to jumpstart your car in an emergency. However, you should know that attempting to do so without the help of a professional can be dangerous and may even put you at risk for injury. That’s why it’s always best to call Modesto Towing instead.
Our reliable 24/7 dead battery services are available throughout the Modesto, CA, area. We use only state-of-the-art equipment and proven techniques to jumpstart your vehicle quickly and efficiently safely. Plus, we offer emergency roadside assistance services on top of our other towing solutions, so you can count on us no matter what happens.
So, if you ever need dead car battery assistance, don’t try to jumpstart your car on your own. Instead, call us at Modesto Towing, and let us take care of everything for you! We’ll be there fast, so you can get back on the road as soon as possible.